Am I Allowed to Modify My Child Custody Agreement in New Jersey?

Am I Allowed to Modify My Child Custody Agreement in New Jersey?

Am I Allowed to Modify My Child Custody Agreement in New Jersey?

There is nothing more important to a parent than their child. That is why child custody is oftentimes the most hotly-contested divorce-related issue. However, after a divorce is settled, lives change, including that of your child. If your situation has changed significantly, there is a very good chance that you may now be seeking a modification to your initial child custody agreement to better reflect the current circumstances. Please continue reading and reach out to our knowledgeable New Jersey family law attorneys to learn more about child custody modifications and how we can help you get one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do I know if I can modify my child custody arrangement in New Jersey?

The first thing you will have to do if you wish to modify your child custody agreement is to petition the court to receive approval. Our firm can do this on your behalf. As with all other modifications, you must prove that there has been a significant and continuing change in circumstances that truly warrants such a modification. Some examples of scenarios that may constitute a modification to child custody are as follows:

  • It is in the child’s best interests.
  • The child is in danger in some way, or the child has been exposed to an incident of domestic violence or substance abuse.
  • One parent has to move, or wishes to move, and desires to take the child with them.
  • When a parent is no longer able to meet his or her child’s needs, either emotionally, physically, or financially, this is most likely grounds for a child custody modification.
  • When one parent chooses not to follow or obey the previously decided custody agreement by either refusing to return the child to the other parent or otherwise, this should warrant a modification.
  • If one of the child’s parents passes away, the other parent may wish to raise the child on his or her own, oftentimes warranting a modification.

What is the modification process like?

To receive a child custody modification, it is often the best course of action to first simply ask the other child’s parent if he or she would allow such a modification. However, if the other parent does not agree, one parent can file a modification petition, which will then have to be approved by an NJ judge. That being said, you must first hire an attorney who can gather and present all the evidence needed to prove to the courts that the modification is a necessity, and would be in your child’s best interests. Our Chatham family law attorneys have helped countless parents through the years, and we know we have what it takes to do the same for you.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you are considering a divorce and need an attorney who can effectively represent you through every step you can count on Lazor Rantas, PC. We proudly serve clients throughout New Jersey as they navigate divorce and family law matters. To discuss your case with an experienced legal team, contact Lazor Rantas, PC today.

Get in touch | we're here to help

Call NowEmail UsChat With Us

Read Our Latest Blog Posts