Considering Divorce: A Few Books to Keep at Your to Desk
If you’re considering divorce—or have already decided on it—it can be difficult to know exactly what to expect. While talking with friends who’ve gone through a divorce themselves and consulting with a family law attorney are great ways to prepare yourself for the upcoming process, reading up on the topic can be a great help as well. Below is a list of five books, ranging from self help to novels, that will give you valuable insight into the divorce process, offer advice on what to do next, and even provide some measure of escape.
A Divorce Reading List
- Gray Divorce: What We Lose and Gain from Mid-Life Splits by Jocelyn Elise Crowley. Gray divorces—splits involving couples 50 or over—have become increasingly common in recent years and this book by Rutgers professor Crowley offers background and perspective on this growing trend.
- No Filter: The Good, The Bad, and the Beautiful by Paulina Porizkova. This memoir by the model and writer recounts Porizkova’s tumultuous marriage to Ric Ocasek of the rock band The Cars, who ended up disinheriting her. Although most people’s experiences will not get as nasty as Porizkova’s, her story provides valuable lessons for those considering divorce.
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones. This best-selling novel tells the stirring story of a couple who are unwittingly separated when the husband is imprisoned for a crime he didn’t commit. The perfect book to crack open when you want to read about a marriage with a plot twist likely more stressful than your own situation.
- The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed by Sara Gay Forden. The basis for the motion picture starring Lady Gaga and Adam Driver, this story of greed and murder offers lessons in what not to do in marriage and business and will provide some needed escapism while you go through the divorce process.
- The Art of Online Dating: Style Your Most Authentic Self and Cultivate a Mindful Dating Life by Alyssa Dineen. If you’re just getting divorced, it’s probably been awhile since you’ve been a part of the dating world and things have likely changed a lot. Dineen’s self help guide is the perfect resource to help you get back on your feet and get back out there.
Contact a Divorce Lawyer Today
While these books can offer valuable insight into the upcoming divorce process—or even some measure of escape from the process—seeking professional assistance is essential to ensuring a successful result for your divorce. At Lazor Rantas, we have many years of experience helping our clients receive the best possible divorce settlement. Give us a call at 973-457-8844 or fill out the form below to get started today.
Oops! We could not locate your form.