Do I Have to Pay Child Support if I Don’t Have Visitation Rights in New Jersey?

Do I Have to Pay Child Support if I Don’t Have Visitation Rights in New Jersey?

Do I Have to Pay Child Support if I Don’t Have Visitation Rights in New Jersey?

Child support is one of the most critical divorce-related issues. Oftentimes, when one parent does not have custody of a child, they may feel as though they shouldn’t have to pay for a child they rarely see, much less raise. This is a complicated issue, and if you find yourself in this situation, you must continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable New Jersey family law attorneys to learn more about how child support works in the state of New Jersey. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do New Jersey courts determine child support?

New Jersey courts will consider several different factors when determining the amount of child support one spouse owes the other. One of the most critical factors is whether one spouse was financially independent in the marriage. If you were the spouse who earned a higher yearly income, there is a very good chance that you will owe child support, and the less your former spouse makes, the more you may owe. Additionally, NJ courts will also factor in whether your child has special needs, whether your child plans on receiving higher education or attending university, and a multitude of other factors revolving around your child’s best interests. As long as the courts determine that it would be in your child’s best interests for you to pay support, you will be obligated to do so.

Will I have to pay child support even if I do not have visitation rights?

The first thing you should understand as the supporting parent is that child support is not dependent on child custody. Simply put, regardless of your custody agreement, even if your former spouse has sole custody of your child, if the courts determine that you must pay child support, you will have to do so. If you fail to make your regular child support payments, you will face a multitude of very serious consequences that NJ courts will enforce.

That being said, you should understand that in certain situations, you may have your support agreement modified. For example, oftentimes, when a child reaches a certain age, he or she may no longer qualify for support payments. Additionally, if your child is financially independent, he or she may also no longer qualify for child support. On the flip side, however, you should understand that if your child has special needs or is planning to go to college, as the parent receiving the support you can request an extension on your support agreement, even if your child has reached an age where support would otherwise be terminated. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to give us a call today. We are here to help.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you are considering a divorce and need an attorney who can effectively represent you through every step you can count on Lazor Rantas, PC. We proudly serve clients throughout New Jersey as they navigate divorce and family law matters. To discuss your case with an experienced legal team, contact Lazor Rantas, PC today.

Get in touch | we're here to help

Call NowEmail UsChat With Us

Read Our Latest Blog Posts