Can a Grandparent Receive Child Custody in New Jersey?

Can a Grandparent Receive Child Custody in New Jersey?

man walking with child

Can a Grandparent Receive Child Custody in New Jersey?

As a grandparent, your grandchild is among the most important parts of your life. This is why if something should happen to your grandchild’s parents, you are most likely ready and willing to step in and help raise the child in any way you can. Please continue reading to learn more about child custody, grandparents’ rights, and how our New Jersey family law attorneys can assist you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do New Jersey courts decide on child custody?

New Jersey courts will consider many different factors when determining child custody, however, they will primarily consider the child’s best interests. Oftentimes, it is in the child’s best interests for both parents to raise the child and jointly split physical and legal custody; physical custody being where the child lives and legal custody being each parent’s right to make certain critical decisions on behalf of the child. However, when New Jersey courts determine that it is not in the best interests of the child for both parents to share custody, they will often resort to other configurations of child custody agreements, such as sole custody.

Under what circumstances could a grandparent be granted custody of a child in New Jersey?

When New Jersey courts believe that one parent is parentally unfit, they will often grant the other parent sole custody of the child. This is usually the case when one parent either has a substance abuse issue, is mentally impaired, or has exposed the child to domestic abuse. That being said, there are times where both parents are deemed unfit to raise the child, in which case New Jersey courts will look to outside parties to find a more stable home for the child, at least until one or both parents get their lives back on track.

Additional circumstances that may warrant a grandparent obtaining custody of a child include the child’s parents being deceased, or even certain situations where parents willingly relinquish child custody to the grandparents. For a grandparent to obtain custody of a child, that grandparent will have to file a petition for custody with the court. If you believe it would be in the best interests of your grandchild for you, as a grandparent, to obtain child custody, please do not hesitate to speak with our experienced Chatham family law attorneys today to learn more about how we can help you.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you are considering a divorce and need an attorney who can effectively represent you through every step you can count on Lazor Rantas, PC. We proudly serve clients throughout New Jersey as they navigate divorce and family law matters. To discuss your case with an experienced legal team, contact Lazor Rantas, PC today.

Get in touch | we're here to help

Call NowEmail UsChat With Us

Read Our Latest Blog Posts