What Happens if My Ex Refuses to Follow Our Child Custody Agreement?

What Happens if My Ex Refuses to Follow Our Child Custody Agreement?

What Happens if My Ex Refuses to Follow Our Child Custody Agreement?

There is nothing more important to a parent than the well-being of their child. This is why if you believe your ex has violated your initial child custody agreement, there is a very good chance that you are now looking to remedy the matter in the best way possible. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced New Jersey family law attorneys to learn more about child custody agreement violations and how our firm can assist you through every step of the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are some examples of child custody agreement violations?

There are various ways in which an individual can violate a child custody agreement, though the main qualification for violating a child custody agreement is acting in a way that is not in your child’s best interests, as your child’s best interests are the core of your custody agreement. Some of the most common ways in which people violate child custody agreements are as follows:

  • Neglecting to pick up or drop off children (in fact, in some cases, failing to return children can even be considered kidnapping, which is a felony)
  • Developing a substance abuse issue
  • Exposing a child to domestic violence
  • Committing a crime
  • Badmouthing a parent to a child
  • Developing a serious mental illness (this is not necessarily a crime, however, if a mental illness prevents an individual from being a responsible parent, it may warrant a child custody modification)

What can I do if my ex violates our child custody agreement?

If your ex violated your child custody agreement in some way, depending on the circumstances of the violation, it may be best to simply speak with your ex to help ensure that the violation never occurs again. However, if your ex committed a violation such as acting violent towards your child, you should strongly consider hiring a knowledgeable Chatham family law attorney who can take legal action against your ex. In many cases, our firm can work to obtain a child custody modification on your behalf, with the goal of establishing an agreement that better suits your child’s best interests. In many cases, these modifications can give a parent sole custody of their child. If you have any additional questions or you are ready to get started, simply contact our firm today. We are here to help.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

If you are considering a divorce and need an attorney who can effectively represent you through every step you can count on Lazor Rantas, PC. We proudly serve clients throughout New Jersey as they navigate divorce and family law matters. To discuss your case with an experienced legal team, contact Lazor Rantas, PC today.

Get in touch | we're here to help

Call NowEmail UsChat With Us

Read Our Latest Blog Posts