Don’t Be Blindsided: 10 Signs of Divorce to Watch Out For
Have you ever asked yourself, “What are signs your spouse is planning for a divorce,” or “What are the divorce warning signs?” If so, this could indicate that your marriage may be coming to an end. Here are 10 signs of divorce to take notice of if you feel your relationship is failing:
- You find reasons to avoid your partner. The thought of being with your partner is just not exciting anymore. In fact, you find ways to not be around them. If you feel like it is exhausting or an inconvenience to be around your partner, this is a heavy indicator that your marriage could be failing.
- Your family or friends advise you to end the relationship. If your friends and family feel you are in an unrewarding—or downright unhealthy—relationship, that might be a sign that a divorce is on the horizon. Getting an outside perspective on your relationship can give you an invaluable and objective point of view. You’ll be able to step back and more clearly see whether the relationship is healthy or not. If your friends and family think that it’s time to end the relationship, it just might be.
- Not communicating. Every relationship has issues. If both parties are willing to communicate and try to understand each other, conflict can oftentimes be resolved. If there is no communication about the issues, however, the issues will only grow. Lack of communication can also indicate that your partner is no longer interested in fixing the relationship.
- Disagreements about money. If money is a source of stress in your marriage, it can cause a lot of issues. For example, if you or your partner seems to be hiding money, or is having issues managing money altogether, this stress can put huge strain on a relationship.
- Most of your interactions are not positive. It might feel like every interaction that you have with your partner is difficult. Conversations are painful, or like a chore.
- Emotional distance. If you or your partner seems distant emotionally, it may mean that you or your partner no longer care about each other, or the relationship. This is a sign of falling out of love.
- Your instincts are telling you to end the relationship. If you feel uncertain or doubtful about your relationship, you may want to investigate your inner-most thoughts. If you genuinely feel like you would be happier—or could find potential happiness—by ending the relationship, it may be time to contact a divorce attorney.
- Not listening. If there is communication by one partner, but the other is not listening, it can mean that they just don’t care to fix the issue. Additionally, if both partners refuse to listen to each other, then that means that they may not be interested in seeing the other’s point of view at all. Being able to listen to your partner is a very important skill to maintain a marriage.
- You live like roommates. One obvious indicator that a marriage is heading towards divorce is that you “live like roommates” instead of partners. This means that you co-exist, and lack the intimacy needed in a healthy marriage. This could look like sleeping in different rooms, sticking to small talk or not talking at all, or just living completely separate lives.
- No sex. Physical intimacy is important in a marriage. Sex is a way to show affection, and a way to reinforce emotional connections. If this is lacking, there may be a disconnect in terms of interest and intimacy.
At Lazor Rantas, we understand the full spectrum of issues that can impact divorcing couples, and are prepared to help. If you are noticing divorce warning signs, considering divorce—or are in the early stages of a divorce—and need an experienced attorney to guide you through the process, contact us today. We proudly serve clients throughout New Jersey as they navigate divorce and other complicated family law matters